Sunday, January 14, 2007

Panic! at the Disco / Cobra Starship Mashup

Panic! at the Disco
I write sins not tragedies

My first reaction to I Write Sins Not Tragedies was simple. Hate. Well, hate with an acknowledgment of a catchy chorus. I had half-heard the song on the radio and made a mental note that it was bad, but something still drew me in. After avoiding the song for a while, I accidentally catch the rather interesting video on TV, and I am again reminded of the stickiness of that chorus. Oh, and the lead singer is cute. Soon after I feel the urge to see the video again, so I hop on my trusted Internet and head to YouTube.com.



I realize, the video makes almost no sense for the song. But still, there I find myself, mesmerized. The song lyrics tell a story about the Groom overhearing someone calling his Bride-to-be a whore, so obviously the wedding is off. "Technically our marriage is saved, so pour the champagne." On the other hand, the video shows a wedding party where the Bride's side of the church is full of boring looking people and the Groom's side is empty. Then a circus party enters and begins filling the church and the empty pews. The bride grows frustrated. One of the circus folk, obviously skilled in Voodoo animates the close-to-dead friends and family of the Bride and the Bride throws a fit and runs out. The Groom is apologizing and runs after her, only to find her playing tonsil hockey with one of the circus party outside. Whore. See, he doesn't find out at the beginning, he finds out at the end of the wedding. The weird family members are not in the song and there's certainly nothing about possessing anybody into dancing. For a month or so after, the song doesn't have much power over me. I return to YouTube a few times to play the song. Not a very strong earworm at all.

But the seed had only barely been planted.

In a fashion very similar to 6 degrees of separation the earworms worked against me to spawn a new seed in me, to help the other grow. You may have heard of a little movie called Snakes on a Plane. At the end of the movie, a video by Cobra Starship played. Obviously from the name, this band was formed specifically for the soundtrack of this movie. Immediately after getting home from the already late showing of the movie, I again break out the YouTube.com. This earworm got me good.



Oh man. That's the cheesiest, most Saccharin and addicting song of all time. It's actually what I expected the movie to be. Campy, trashy and not to mention, cute boys ;) The lead singer has a lovely voice, curses in the song (gotta love that) and sings part of a wonderfully-catchy chorus. The other part is sung by one of the hoochiest, most ghetto chicks I have ever seen. Her raunch is so high, it could touch the sky. "Oh, I'm ready for it. Come on bring it. Oh, I'm ready for it. Come on bring it! So kiss me goodbye, I don't know if I'll make it out alive." I sing along. One of the strongest earworms I've ever encountered, in my (top ten) for sure. My love for the song controls me, I buy the album. (read:download) I listen to "Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)" 6 times before letting the rest of the album play.

The second track finally plays. "Sit tight I'm gonna need you to keep count, come on just snap, snap, snap your fingers for me." The beat is very nice, good lyrics and chorus. Good to sing to. Some dance beats and keeps my scattered brain interested. It's Panic!. I should have known by the rediculously-long song title. "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage (Tommie Sunshine Brooklyn Fire Remix)"

I take the Snakes on a Plane album to work, and play it while working. A coworker hears the album as the Panic! at the Disco song is playing. His comment, "Hrm, this is a remix of Panic!, and it's way slower." "What?" I ask, thinking, since when is a remix slower? and this is at a normal singing speed.. how could it possibly be faster? Curiousity killed that cat. I buy their album, "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out".

He's right! The album track is faster! It's almost difficult to listen to, let alone sing along with. Still, the music is erratic enough to keep the focus of my hummingbird attention span. It's fun to sing along with because the speed presents a slight challenge and it easily catches in between the holes of your daily, productive thoughts.

No comments: